Joseph August Golla, son of Peter and Veronica Golla, was born 25 Dec 1858 in Danzig, Prussia; married abt 1878; immigrated to the United States in 1880. Joseph lived in Baltimore, MD until late 1885, when he moved the family to Dents Run, PA. According to census information, Joseph became a naturalized citizen in 1887. The family lived in Dent’s run until 1890, when they bought a home in Penfield, PA. In 1900 the family moved to Caledonia, PA, when Joseph was made a section foreman on the railroad. By 1920 Joseph was living in Huston Township, PA, and by 1930 he was living in Dubois, PA. Joseph died 24 Jul 1934 in DuBois, Clearfield, PA, and is buried in St. Michael’s Polish cemetery in Dubois, PA.
Prior to coming to America, Joseph worked in a brewery in Germany. After coming to America, Joseph spent many years working on the Pennsylvania railroad.
Frances Gdanietz, daughter of Peter Gdanietz and Catherine Radowska, and wife of Joseph Golla, was born 18 Apr 1852 in Danzig, Prussia. She immigrated to the United States about 1881 with her brother-in-law John Golla, and his wife, who located in Alpena, Michigan after coming to the United States. Frances died 27 Nov 1927 in Penfield, Clearfield, PA. Records indicate alternate spellings of her first name as Franciszka, and of her maiden name as Gdence, Gdance, Gdinetz, Dennis, Denis, and Dennison. Some relatives are known to have adopted the last name Dennis after immigrating to the United States.
Children of Joseph Golla and Frances Gdanietz (see Second Generation for more detail):
- Rose Golla, born 24 Sep 1880 in Germany; died 5 Mar 1940. Married Joseph Shivie.
- Frank Golla, born 2 Oct 1882 in Baltimore, MD; died 1 May 1914 in St. Mary’s, PA.
- Joseph Peter Golla, born 13 Jan 1886 in Dents Run, PA; died 26 Aug 1975. Married Elizabeth Regulski.
- Helen Frances Golla, born 25 Dec 1888 in Dents Run, PA; died 6 May 1986. Married 1) Joseph Orsie, and 2) John R. Hawk.
- Veronica Golla, born 20 May 1891 in Penfield, PA; died 9 Jan 1973 in Phoenix, AZ. Married George Stojek.
- Catherine Golla, born 20 May 1891 in Penfield, PA; died 14 Oct 1939 in Nanty-Glo, PA. Married Martin Lesneski.
- John Patrick Golla, born 17 Mar 1893 in Penfield, PA; died 28 Oct 1950. Married Victoria Michvick.
- August Leo Golla, born 9 Feb 1895 in Penfield, PA; died April 1986. Married Anne Kilzen.
- Golla, August; Joseph and Frances Golla (Family History). View Document.
- Gurneau, Joanna Orsie; Joseph and Frances Golla (Family History). View Document.
- Dennis, Chuck; Golla Family – The Decision to Come to America. View Document.
- Metz, Helen Hawk, My Grampaw – Memories of Grandpa Golla. View Document.
- Vital Records, Death certificate of Joseph Golla, Pennsylvania Department of Health, File No 66651. View Image.
- Vital Records, Death certificate of Frances Golla, Pennsylvania Department of Health. View image.
- 1900 US Federal Census, Jay Township, Elk County, Pennsylvania, Enumeration District 36, Sheet 6. Head of House: Golla, Joseph. View image.
- 1910 US Federal Census, Jay Township, Elk Couny, Pennsylvania, Enumeration District 40, Page 6A. Head of House: Golla, Joseph. View image.
- 1920 US Federal Census, Huston Township, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, Enumeration District 91, sheet 4B. Head of House: Golla, Joseph. View image.
- 1930 US Federal Census, DuBois City, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, Enumeration District 27, sheet 7A. Head of House: Stojek, George. View image.
- The Nashua Reporter, Nashua Iowa, 21 Sept 1922. Newspaper article mentioning Joseph Golla. View image.
- The News-Herald, Franklin Pennsylvania, 3 Mar 1924, pg 11. Newspaper article about Joseph Golla retirement after 41 years of railroad service. (GREAT ARTICLE!). View image.
- The Jeffersonian-Democrat, Brookville Pennsylvania, 6 Mar 1924, pg 6. Newspaper article mentioning retirement. View image.
- The Brookville American, Brookville Pennsylvania, 13 Mar 1924, pg 5. Newspaper artcle. View image.
- Harrisburg Telegraph, Harrisburg Pennsylvania, 31 Mar 1924, pg 8. Newspaper article. View image.
- Altoona Tribune, Altoona Pennsylvania, 3 Apr 1924, pg 3. Newspaper article. View image.
- The Brockway Record, Brockway Pennsylvania, 27 Jul 1934, pg 4. Newspaper article. View image.
- Findagrave.com, Memorial #137579850, entry for Joseph Golla, Available on the Internet at https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/137579850/joseph-golla
- Findagrave.com, Memorial #121850282 , entry for Franciszka Gdence Golla, Available on the Internet at https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/137579849/franciszka-golla.